We are pleased you have selected Clarke County Public Schools to share in the education of your child and are excited to begin a relationship with your family. We have compiled the following information so the registration process flows smoothly and your child begins school as soon as possible. Each school handles their own registration which allows the family to meet the staff and tour the facility, ensuring positive home-school relations from the first day.
Returning students, please complete your online registration through the PowerSchool Parent Portal.
New students will receive a snapcode email. If you have not pre-registered please contact your child's school.
Clarke County High School | 540.955.6130
Johnson-Williams Middle School | 540.955.6160
D.G. Cooley Elementary School | 540.955.6110
Boyce Elementary School | 540.955.6115
Parent Checklist for Registration/Enrollment
- Proof of residency
- Parent photo ID
- Birth Certificate (issued by state, not hospital)
- Immunization record
- High school only - Unofficial transcript, if possible, including discipline record
For the 2021-22 school year, all children who will be 5 years of age on or before September 30, 2021, must be registered for kindergarten. Parents wishing to delay their child’s attendance for one year must submit a written request to the Superintendent. If you do not know what school your child will attend, see the "School Attendance Zones" section below. Complete kindergarten registration at your elementary school.
Parents registering a child are required by Virginia law to present:
1. Proof of Residency (see the FAQ "What is Accepted as Proof of Residency?" below)
2. Original or certified copy of the student's birth record
3. Certificate of physical examination from a physician or a health department. Virginia School Entrance Health Exam Form
4. Certificate with complete dates for the following immunizations from a physician or a health department:
- DPT or DTaP
- Hepatitis B
Parents should register their child for kindergarten even if all of the above have not yet been obtained.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who Can Register a Child?
Parent/Legal Guardian who resides in Clarke County
Where Do I Go To Register?
Registrations are completed at the schools
Boyce Elementary (PK-5 )
D.G. Cooley Elementary (K-5)
Johnson-Williams Middle School (6-8)
Clarke County High School (9-12)
What Documents are Required For Registration?
Please be prepared to provide the following records:
1. Two Proofs of Residency (see the following section)
2. Photo ID - choose one:
- Valid, current Virginia Driver’s license
- Valid, current Photo ID Card (from the DMV)
- Valid, current Passport
3. Birth Certificate, original or certified copy. If parent name on birth certificate is different than custodial parent, please bring the court order, military order, adoption papers, foster care documents, etc. that explains the custodial parent and difference in name from child - §22.1-3.1 Code of Virginia
4. Immunization Record
5. Physical Examination - Elementary Only. A Commonwealth of Virginia School Entrance Health form should be completed by a physician no earlier than 12 months prior to the date of entrance into school if student is enrolling in a Virginia public school for the first time. For students who have been enrolled in a Virginia public school previously, the physical examination form submitted at the time of first enrollment may be used.
6. Tuition Application & Contract - Non-Resident Students Only
What is Accepted as Proof of Residency?
Parents must present proof that they reside in the attendance zone in which they are enrolling students. Please provide a photo ID and two (2) residency documents as outlined below.
Residency Document #1 (choose one):
Real estate tax bill
Rental/Lease contract with signatures & date. Please verify address on contract is correct, and no additions have been made to the original contract.
Property Owner’s Certification for Residence. If you are living in Clarke County without a lease and you don’t own the residence, you may have the owner complete a Property Owner’s Certification for Residence form and present the notarized copy at registration.
House purchase contract with signatures & date. Please verify address on contract is correct, and no additions have been made to the original contract. When a family has a home purchase contract, but has not yet taken residency, please refer to Regulation JEC-CCPS-R and contact the Assistant Superintendent at 540.955.6100.
Residency Document #2 (choose one):
Gas bill (Natural or Propane – if attached to home)
Cable/satellite TV bill
Home owner’s insurance policy (coverage must be current). Please verify address on contract is correct.
Items Not Accepted:
Bills more than 2 months prior to current date